Monday, April 18, 2011

Get Fired Up!

I received some very bad news while at church yesterday that I friend of mine had passed. I've known this individual since middle school. Although not someone I would consider 'best friend,' when we did speak we had very good conversations. I also had a sense of closeness to him since he was dating my best friend. His life was taken very young as he recently just turned 23. The details unimportant, but certainly a case of a good guy being at the wrong place at the wrong time. I've never had to deal with loss. This would be the closest thing to dealing with loss that I've had to face.

What hurts my heart the most is the fact that I don't really know if he was saved. I know he went to church with my friend and I've seen him a couple of times myself. But as believers of Christ we should not fear death because we know that we are going to meet our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ in heaven. But for non-believers it's a very scary realization of not having that assurance. This situation really has been bothering my heart because he is a friend of mine. Our main goal on the earth is to proclaim the gospel of Jesus. I certainly have not being doing that consistently. Being comfortable in knowing you're going to heaven is great but what about your friends? your family? your co-workers? God has been really speaking to my heart to share the word especially to young people like myself. We usually believe when we get "older" we'll live for Christ, but, honestly who knows what 'older' will be for us. The bible says in Psalm 90:12 "Teach us to number our days aright so we may gain a heart of wisdom." Another translations says "teach us to realize the brevity of life."

Life is very short and each day is a gift from God. I'm still trying to accept the fact that people's salvation is not to fall on my shoulders rather my role is to open my mouth about the gift of salvation which Christ has given me and leave the conviction of their hearts to God. With the loss of my friend I'm even more fired up about the mission that has been handed to us Christians. So you too should get - fired up!

Here, listen to one of my favorite songs....
by Jimmy Needham

4 comments:

Abisola Okanlawon said...

This is EXACTLY my heart cry in hearing this news! Salvation is what is most important. Be a light girl....This should not be another emotion experience that people encounter and a month later return to life as they were living before (if not right). Get fired up...and stay fired up!

Skinny Hipster... said...

I agree- the first thing that I said to myself was "I hope he was saved."

Anonymous said...

Temitayo.
Please please please post this on facebook.
This is a message we need to share.

Tayo said...

Hi Anonymous,

I shared the link to this post on my FB page. I guess I can post as note too. You are free to share this post as well. I don't mind at all :)

Post a Comment

 

Copyright © 2011 Princess Temitayo.